Security update for package cups
(Last modified: 07JAN2003)
solutions Security update for package cups SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (fd49e9dbce3ea25e111d005556e7cfb4)
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for IBM iSeries and IBM pSeries
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for IBM S/390 and IBM zSeries
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for IBM zSeries
SuSE Linux Openexchange Server 4
- an integer overflow in the HTTP interface to gain remote access with CUPS privileges
- a local file race condition to gain root permissions (the bug mentioned above has to be exploited first, though)
- remote addition of printers is possible
- a remote denial-of-service and possible remote root exploit due to negative length
- an integer overflow in image handling code and the
pdftopsfilter to gain higher privileges
- local root permissions can be gained due to a buffer overflow of the
- a design problem to gain local root (needs added printer, see above)
- wrong handling of zero width images can be abused to gain higher privileges
- a file descriptor leak and denial-of-service due to missing checks of return values of file/socket operations
rpm -Fvh cups.rpm
Please restart CUPS with
rccups restartafter the installation of the update.
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.