Security update for Linux kernel
(Last modified: 19NOV2004)
solutions Security update for Linux kernel SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (eceb314cde15f1fd4f18001c29a65a5e)
Product(s): SUSE CORE 9 for IBM zSeries 64bit
- Fixed / Added ELF loader error handling where it was missing, which could lead to a local privilege escalation. This was found by Paul Starzetz of isec.pl.
- Fixed several smbfs boundary checking problems which could lead to buffer overflows. This issue was found by Stefan Essern and was assigned the CVE ID CAN-2004-0883.
- Fixed a possible userspace corruptions / data disclosure problem on SMP machines with more than 4 GB of RAM.
- Fixed a denial of service condition in a.out support.
- Fixed a aic79xx modprobe/rmmod oops.
- Fixed a broken decnet fix.
- Fixed an NFS data corruption problem in readdirplus handling.
rpm -Fvh kernel-s390x.rpm kernel-source.rpm kernel-syms.rpm zipl
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.