Recommended update for Linux kernel
(Last modified: 30JUN2005)
solutions Recommended update for Linux kernel SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (d8deb18ca981f40c696c338f5c7448c3)
Product(s): SUSE LINUX Retail Solution 8
SuSE Linux School Server for i386
SuSE Linux Standard Server 8
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for x86
SuSE Linux Openexchange Server 4
- Several JFS stability fixes.
- Fix mishandling of dump IPI on i386.
- Fixed a small MD autostart bug.
- Fixed memfrac and lower_zone_reserve kernel parameters.
- Fixed a harmless bug in rwsem in case some drivers use it.
rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz
Download the kernel image fitting your setup and install it with either:
- rpm -Fvh k_deflt-2.4.*.i586.rpm for the default kernel image, or
- rpm -Fhv k_athlon-2.4.*.i586.rpm for the AMD Athlon optimized kernel image, or
- rpm -Fhv k_smp-2.4.*.i586.rpm for the SMP kernel image, or
- rpm -Fhv k_psmp-2.4.*.i586.rpm for the PSMP kernel image
In case you are using LILO as bootmanager, please make sure that you also execute the command
after installing the update for the system to remain bootable.
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.