Recommended update for Linux kernel (k_smp)
(Last modified: 03FEB2003)
solutions Recommended update for Linux kernel (k_smp) SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (c4c099b13c87119b467bc6ea7cfb9632)
SuSE Linux Openexchange Server 4
This article applies to systems with the
k_smpkernel package installed, please use the appropriate kernel package if you are using a different kernel:
- "Recommended update for Linux kernel (k_deflt)" (http://sdb.suse.de/en/psdb/html/9e8e4cb537e2bd5b9f2768e5f17a4f0c.html)
- "Recommended update for Linux kernel (k_athlon)" (http://sdb.suse.de/en/psdb/html/fdeec5b30e824b6b96ba3f3aefc9b691.html)
- "Recommended update for Linux kernel (k_psmp)" (http://sdb.suse.de/en/psdb/html/c6dffd41165a224d32ef7b68243c59cd.html)
- "Recommended update for Linux kernel (k_debug)" (http://sdb.suse.de/en/psdb/html/9a3484bfb682ad71fd70e97174b27619.html)
rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz
- Fix fractured block problem (implemented by adding blk-atomic feature).
- Add several performance and scalability improvements for SMP systems.
- Fix a longstanding TCP problem that can lead to hanging SSH sessions.
- Fix possible data exposure and data corruption caused by abusing
statfsoverflow for huge NFS filesystems.
- Enable support for more than 256 SCSI hard disks by default on SMP systems.
- Fix problem in
O_DIRECTimplementation when reading files with holes in it.
- Fix possible lockup on full reiserfs when
- Fix possible oops when trying to free pages in async-I/O.
- Fix longstanding off-by-one error in
keventdinitialization that can lead to system freeze.
- Fix MD RAID1 oops when a disk has failed.
- Fix possible data loss on umount when the filesystem is mounted with "
- Prevent possible
- Fix scheduler problem where an RT task can hang the system.
O_DIRECTfor filesystems with a blocksize less than 4k.
- Fix system crash when using bigpages under certain circumstances.
- Add workaround for AMD errata #56 for
- Fix problem in SCSI midlayer that leads to inferior performance for some AIC7xxx adapters.
- Fix handling of Unisys ES7000 interrupt override for PCI range.
- Fix file mark handling bug in
osstthat breaks some backup programs.
- Fix LVM major checking in XFS.
- xfs ACLs: return
E2BIGif number of entries overflows.
- Fix bug in file truncate for async-I/O
- Fix SMP race that can lead to corrupted or lost data on power failure
- Update LSI Fusion-MPT driver to 2.04.00.01.
aacraiddriver to 0.9.9-axb03.
- Update Syskonnect driver
bcm4400network driver 1.0.1.
bcm5700driver to 5.0.17.
- IBM ServeRaid driver downgraded to 5.11. Some machines seem to have problems when firmware version and driver version don't match (there is no firmware version 6.00 available yet). Use newer driver version 6.0.0 only on IA64..
ccissdriver to 2.4.42.
- Add preliminary support for IBM x445 ("RUTHLESS").
amd8111enetwork driver to version 3.0.0.
megaraiddriver to 1.18e.
rpm -Uvh k_smp.rpm mkinitrd
In case you are using
lilo, please make sure that you also execute the command
after installing the update and running
mkinitrdfor the system to remain bootable.
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "
now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "
+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.