Security update for Linux kernel
(Last modified: 01AUG2006)
solutions Security update for Linux kernel SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (c415e38e966aa4bffd414f18cf391d74)
Product(s): SUSE SLES 10 for IPF
- CVE-2006-3626: A race condition allows local users to gain root privileges by changing the file mode of /proc/self/ files in a way that causes those files (for instance /proc/self/environ) to become setuid root. [#192688]
- CVE-2006-2935: A stackbased buffer overflow in CDROM / DVD handling was fixed which could be used by a physical local attacker to crash the kernel or execute code within kernel context, depending on presence of automatic DVD handling in the system. [#190396]
- CVE-2006-2451: Due to an argument validation error in prctl(PR_SET_DUMPABLE) a local attacker can easily gain administrator (root) privileges. [#186980]
- Limit the maximum number of LUNs to 16384 [#185164]
- LSI 1030/MPT Fusion driver hang during error recovery -- Optionally disable QAS [#180100]
- advance buffer pointers in h_copy_rdma() to avoid data corruption [#186444]
First, find out which kernel package to download and use, for example with
rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz
Download the kernel image fitting your setup and the kernel symbols
(kernel-syms*.rpm) and install it with:
rpm -Fvh kernel-*.rpm
Please do only install one of these kernels, not all of them.
In case you are using LILO as bootmanager, please make sure that you also execute the command
after installing the update for the system to remain bootable.
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.