Security update for Linux kernel (x86_64)
(Last modified: 01AUG2006)
solutions Security update for Linux kernel (x86_64) SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (c36e25c3bc040fa8da0dac65d0a11e20)
Product(s): SUSE SLED 10 for AMD64 and Intel EM64T
SUSE SLE 10 DEBUGINFO for AMD64 and Intel EM64T
SUSE SLES 10 for AMD64 and Intel EM64T
- CVE-2006-3626: A race condition allows local users to gain root privileges by changing the file mode of /proc/self/ files in a way that causes those files (for instance /proc/self/environ) to become setuid root. [#192688]
- CVE-2006-2935: A stackbased buffer overflow in CDROM / DVD handling was fixed which could be used by a physical local attacker to crash the kernel or execute code within kernel context, depending on presence of automatic DVD handling in the system. [#190396]
- CVE-2006-2451: Due to an argument validation error in prctl(PR_SET_DUMPABLE) a local attacker can easily gain administrator (root) privileges. [#186980]
- XEN patches/fixes:
- kunmap_atomic() must zap the PTE to avoid dangling references.
- patches.xen/xen-balloon-max-target: Expose limit domain can be ballooned up to [#152667]
- Fix oops on io scheduler unload on a process without ioc (backport)
- OCFS2 updated to to version 1.2.3.
- update patches.arch/ppc-update_gtod-race.patch: restrict to 64bit only because it leads to deadlocks on ppc32 [#202146]
- Fix MCA recovery in context switch path [#199472]
- fix gettimeofday vs. update_gtod race [#197699]
- LKCD: dump all slab pages. [#196330]
- Make idle io be lowest priority best-effort [#195387]
- Fix dropping of wrong cic. [#195387]
- Fix stale file handle problem with subtree_checking. [#195040]
- Remove Altix PROM bit that can race on MCAs. [#193296]
- Prevent silent data corruption caused by XPC. [#193132]
- Fix race condition during COW [#192259]
- sched: fix group power for allnodes_domains [#191929]
- Allow dma_alloc_coherent() to work for regions up to 2MB. [#191615]
- fix ABBA deadlock between cpuset callback_sem and hotplug cpucontrol mutex [#191582]
- Check for existing sysfs directory prior to creating one [#191360]
- Fix possible NFS panic in readdir. [#189951]
- MPT driver: Fix oops on module loading [#189534]
- SUNRPC: Ensure that rpc_mkpipe returns a refcounted dentry [#183013]
- Pass file mode on DMAPI remove events [#182691]
- MPT driver: Fix oops during error recovery [#177919]
- flush icache on POWER4 cpus to fix itrace crash [#171699]
- KPROBES: Fix system panic if user doing copy_from_user in the probe handlers [#171483]
- Avoid possible soft-lockup, particularly related to md [#152099]
- reiserfs: fix transaction overflowing [#145070]
rpm -Fvh kernel-*.rpm
In case you are using LILO as bootmanager, please make sure that you also execute the command
after installing the update for the system to remain bootable.
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.