Security update for Linux kernel
(Last modified: 18MAR2008)
solutions Security update for Linux kernel SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (aab836528f99df07c43db5dd38e62ad0)
Product(s): Novell Linux Desktop 9 for x86
Open Enterprise Server
- Memory overrun vulnerability in ISDN code (CVE-2007-6151)
- Insufficient range checks of certain fault handlers (CVE-2008-0007)
- Reset current->pdeath_signal on SUID binary execution (CVE-2007-3848)
- aacraid: Fix range checks (CVE-2007-4308).
- fixed a remote buffer overflow in CIFS (CVE-2007-5904)
- Several kernel crashes addressed.
- Improvements to running as a VMWare guest.
- Update of OCFS2 to 1.2.8-2.
- New code drop for the s390 architecture.
First, find out which kernel package to download and use, for example with
rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz
Download the kernel image fitting your setup and the kernel symbols (kernel-syms*.rpm) and install it with either:
- rpm -Fvh kernel-syms*.rpm kernel-default*.rpm for the default kernel image, or
- rpm -Fhv kernel-syms*.rpm kernel-smp*.rpm for the SMP kernel image with support for up to 64 GB, or
- rpm -Fhv kernel-syms*.rpm kernel-bigsmp*.rpm for the SMP kernel image with support for up to 64 GB
In case you are using LILO as bootmanager, please make sure that you also execute the command
after installing the update for the system to remain bootable.
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.