Recommended update for Linux kernel (k_timer)
(Last modified: 11JUL2003)
solutions Recommended update for Linux kernel (k_timer) SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (a4381c7edc3848e59a1b84b3f1cb0b72)
This update should be installed on all systems.
This article applies to systems with the
k_timerkernel package installed, please use the appropriate kernel package if you are using a different kernel:
- "Recommended update for Linux kernel (k_deflt)" (http://sdb.suse.de/en/psdb/html/c13fec4147c1e1063a3c729270c7c673.html)
rpm -qf /boot/kernel/image
This update fixes varies problems and has the following enhancements:
- Fixes for low memory emergency IDAL handling.
- DASD devices will not be set 'online' on slow/fast systems.
- DIAG250-disk on 64Bit system causes endless loop.
- DASD driver: IFCC handling fixed.
- CIO: Handling of not operational paths.
- CIO: oopses from debug feature.
- Kernel: s390dbf - invalid call of
- Address space switching instruction in user space does not fault.
- DASD driver: problems when echoing invalid DEVNO to
- CTC: System hang on shutdown of remote OS/390.
- Clearing of .bss section.
- Fixed-point divide exception in boot process.
- Chandev configuration.
- Many IUCV devices.
- Module loader.
vmalloc()with user specified length.
- Memory management: dirty bit clearing.
- Starting a LCS network device with specific module parameters causes an address exception.
- Deadlock in memory management code.
- xpram parameter parsing.
- Elevator Algorithm was deactivated for DASD. Depending on the loadprofile this can improve I/O-performance up to 10%.
- Addtional debug info for DASD and QDIO. This affects only the analysis of a dump and does not impact performance.
- Fixed RAID 1 problem which could lead to oopses.
CONFIG_WATCHDOG_NOWAYOUTin default config.
- Corrected sysinfo call in s390 31-Bit emulation.
- Inserted length check to avoid possible exploit in s390 31-Bit emulation.
- Remove SMP-unsafe BUG in
- Add fix to handle BSG intruction correctly (set control reg5.)
- Added fix for
- Add patches.common/nethashfix.
- Fix the following calls in the 32-Bit emulation Layer:
readv, writev, msgget, msgrcv, msgsnd, semget, fcntl.
This update includes the following IBM code drops:
- 2003-03-17 kernel 2.4.17 for the "August 2001 stream"
- 2003-04-16 kernel 2.4.17 for the "August 2001 stream"
- 2003-07-07 kernel 2.4.17 for the "August 2001 stream"
rpm -Fvh k_timer.rpm zipl
Please do not forget to run
ziplafter installing the kernel RPM for the system to remain bootable.
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "
now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "
+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.