Security update for Linux kernel (k_timer)
(Last modified: 08JUL2002)
solutions Security update for Linux kernel (k_timer) SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (9fb366cce01a8579a465e6c68a41a0f8)
- fix for ip_conntrack security problem
- fix for TCP RST handling in listen: Linux would previously accept SYN packets with a RST or FIN bit set. This could be used to circumvent some packet filters who assume that these packets cannot open a new connection
- fix for possibly incorrect TLB flushing under extreme circumstances
- fix for SMP race in msgrcv(can trigger only with extensive IPC usage)
- fix for SMP race in locking code of the NFS client
- fix for CTC not restarting after I/O errors
- fix for initialisation problems in the dasd discipline drivers
- update to IBM Code Drop 2002-11-25 which fixes these problems:
- Linux hangs after a device is gone
- Linux hangs after a tape attach or attached tape is not recognized
- Linux fails to detect devices after 'not operational' messages
- fix for initialisation problems when bringing up IUCV connections
For detailed information about the required APARs / PTFs, please refer to the "OSA-Express QDIO performance enhanced in consolidated Linux under z/VM environments" document at http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/tips/vm-linux.pdf
rpm -Uvh k_timer.rpm zipl
Now shutdown the Linux system with:
shutdown -h now
(substitute "now" with an appropriate amount of time if you want to give local users a chance to log out before the Linux system goes down.)
After the system has shut down, re-IPL.
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.