Security update for Linux kernel
(Last modified: 28NOV2007)
solutions Security update for Linux kernel SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (9bd2fb953279a9c0f9e9b139ba46d357)
Product(s): SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1 for x86
SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 SP1 DEBUGINFO for x86
SLE SDK 10 SP1 for x86
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1 for x86
- CVE-2007-3104: The sysfs_readdir function in the Linux kernel 2.6 allows local users to cause a denial of service (kernel OOPS) by dereferencing a null pointer to an inode in a dentry.
- CVE-2007-4997: A 2 byte buffer underflow in the ieee80211 stack was fixed, which might be used by attackers in the local WLAN reach to crash the machine.
- CVE-2007-3740: The CIFS filesystem, when Unix extension support is enabled, did not honor the umask of a process, which allowed local users to gain privileges.
- CVE-2007-4573: It was possible for local user to become root by exploiting a bug in the IA32 system call emulation. This problem affects the x86_64 platform only, on all distributions. This problem was fixed for regular kernels, but had not been fixed for the XEN kernels. This update fixes the problem also for the XEN kernels.
- CVE-2007-4308: The (1) aac_cfg_open and (2) aac_compat_ioctl functions in the SCSI layer ioctl path in aacraid did not check permissions for ioctls, which might have allowed local users to cause a denial of service or gain privileges.
- CVE-2007-3843: The Linux kernel checked the wrong global variable for the CIFS sec mount option, which might allow remote attackers to spoof CIFS network traffic that the client configured for security signatures, as demonstrated by lack of signing despite sec=ntlmv2i in a SetupAndX request.
- CVE-2007-5904: Multiple buffer overflows in CIFS VFS in the Linux kernel allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code via long SMB responses that trigger the overflows in the SendReceive function. This requires the attacker to mis-present / replace a CIFS server the client machine is connected to.
- CVE-2007-6063: Buffer overflow in the isdn_net_setcfg function in isdn_net.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to have an unknown impact via a crafted argument to the isdn_ioctl function.
- patches.drivers/pci-delete-ACPI-hook-from-pci_set_power_state.patch: Delete ACPI hook from pci_set_power_state() [#162320] Still execute the code on Lenovo ThinkPads (or USB ports do not work anymore after suspend [#329232]
- patches.drivers/alsa-post-sp1-hda-probe-blacklist: [ALSA] hda-intel - Add probe_mask blacklist [#172330]
- patches.drivers/alsa-post-sp1-hda-robust-probe: [ALSA] hda-intel - Improve HD-audio codec probing robustness [#172330]
- patches.arch/i386-hpet-lost-interrupts-fix.patch: Backport i386 hpet lost interrupts code [#257035]
- patches.fixes/megaraid_mbox-dell-cerc-support: Dell CERC support for megaraid_mbox [#267134]
- patches.fixes/nfsv4-MAXNAME-fix.diff: knfsd: query filesystem for NFSv4 getattr of FATTR4_MAXNAME [#271803]
- patches.drivers/ide-amd74xx-add-ignore_enablebits-parameter: amd74xx: add ignore_enable_bits module parameter [#272786]
- patches.fixes/legacy-pty-count-kernel-parm.patch: Add a kernel boot parameter to overwrite the legacy PTY count. The default value of 64 is insufficient occasionally [#277846]
- patches.fixes/lockd-grant-shutdown: Stop GRANT callback from crashing if NFS server has been stopped. [#292478]
- Kernel update to 188.8.131.52 [#298719] including (among others):
- lots of md fixes
- fix of sparc bugs
- fix of TCP handling of SACK in bidirectional flows
- fix of MCA bus matching
- fix of PPC issues:
- Fix osize too small errors when decoding mppe.
- Fix output buffer size in ppp_decompress_frame().
- patches.fixes/assign-task_struct.exit_code-before-taskstats_exit.patch: Assign task_struct.exit_code before taskstats_exit() [#307504]
- patches.fixes/bonding_no_addrconf_for_bond_slaves: bonding / ipv6: no addrconf for slaves separately from master. [#310254]
- patches.fixes/bonding_support_carrier_state_for_master: bonding: support carrier state for master [#310254]
- patches.fixes/fix-sys-devices-system-node-node0-meminfo-from-having-anonpages-wrapped.patch: fix /sys/devices/system/node/node0/meminfo from having anonpages wrapped [#310744]
- patches.fixes/nfs-remove-bogus-cache-change-attribute-check.diff fix bogus cache change to make data available immediately, on direct write [#325877]
- patches.fixes/tcp-send-ACKs-each-2nd-received-segment.patch: Send ACKs each 2nd received segment. This fixes a problem where the tcp cubic congestion algorithm was too slow in converging [#327848]
- patches.drivers/libata-fix-spindown: libata: fix disk spindown on shutdown [#330722]
- patches.fixes/scsi-reset-resid: busy status on tape write results in incorrect residual [#330926]
- patches.fixes/condense-output-of-show_free_areas.patch: Condense output of show_free_areas() [#331251]
- patches.arch/powernowk8_family_freq_from_fiddid.patch: To find the frequency given the fid and did is family dependant. [#332722]
- patches.fixes/tcp-saner-thash_entries-default.patch: Limit the size of the TCP established hash to 512k entries by default [#333273]
- patches.drivers/alsa-emu10k1-spdif-mem-fix: [ALSA] emu10k1 - Fix memory corruption [#333314]
- patches.drivers/alsa-post-sp1-hda-stac-error-fix: [ALSA] Fix error probing with STAC codecs [#333320]
- patches.fixes/qla2xxx-avoid-duplicate-pci_disable_device: Fixup patch to not refer to stale pointer [#333542]
- large backport of dm-crypt fixes: [#333905]
- patches.fixes/dm-disable_barriers.diff: dm: disable barriers.
- patches.fixes/initramfs-fix-cpio-hardlink-check.patch: initramfs: fix CPIO hardlink check [#334612]
- patches.drivers/lpfc-184.108.40.206-update: driver update to fix severe issues in lpfc 220.127.116.11 driver [#334630] [#342044]
- patches.fixes/nfs-direct-io-fix-1: NFS: Fix error handling in nfs_direct_write_result() [#336200]
- patches.fixes/nfs-direct-io-fix-2: NFS: Fix a refcount leakage in O_DIRECT [#336200]
- add patches.drivers/ibmvscsi-migration-login.patch prohibit IO during adapter login process [#337980]
- patches.arch/acpi_thinkpad_brightness_fix.patch: Take care of latest Lenovo ThinkPad brightness control [#338274] [#343660]
- patches.fixes/ramdisk-2.6.23-corruption_fix.diff: rd: fix data corruption on memory pressure [#338643]
- patches.fixes/fc_transport-remove-targets-on-host-remove: memory use after free error in mptfc [#338730]
- patches.fixes/ipmi-ipmi_msghandler.c-fix-a-memory-leak.patch: IPMI: ipmi_msghandler.c: fix a memory leak [#339413]
- add patches.arch/ppc-pseries-rtas_ibm_suspend_me.patch fix multiple bugs in rtas_ibm_suspend_me code [#339927]
- patches.fixes/nfsacl-retval.diff: knfsd: fix spurious EINVAL errors on first access of new filesystem [#340873]
- patches.fixes/avm-fix-capilib-locking: [ISDN] Fix random hard freeze with AVM cards. [#341894]
- patches.fixes/ipv6_rh_processing_fix: [IPV6]: Restore semantics of Routing Header processing [#343100]
- The following set of XEN fixes has been applied: [#343612]
- patches.xen/14280-net-fake-carrier-flag.patch: netfront: Better fix for netfront_tx_slot_available().
- patches.xen/14893-copy-more-skbs.patch: netback: Copy skbuffs that are presented to the start_xmit() function.
- patches.xen/157-netfront-skb-deref.patch: net front: Avoid deref'ing skb after it is potentially freed.
- patches.xen/263-xfs-unmap.patch: xfs: eagerly remove vmap mappings to avoid upsetting Xen.
- patches.xen/xen-i386-set-fixmap: i386/PAE: avoid temporarily inconsistent pte-s.
- patches.xen/xen-isa-dma: Suppress all use of ISA DMA on Xen.
- patches.xen/xen-x86-performance: Adjust.
- patches.arch/acpi_backport_video.c.patch: Backport video driver from 2.6.23-rc9 [#343660]
- patches.arch/acpi_find_bcl_support.patch: Store brightness/video functionality of ACPI provided by BIOS [#343660]
First, find out which kernel package to use, for example with
rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz
Download the kernel image fitting your setup and install it with:
rpm -Fvh kernel-*.rpm
In case you are using LILO as bootmanager, please make sure that you also execute the command
after installing the update for the system to remain bootable. If you are using GRUB you don't need to do anything.
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.