Optional update for move-to-sles10-sp1
(Last modified: 11JUN2007)
solutions Optional update for move-to-sles10-sp1 SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (9834f3e840ea88fb1c6711c29d7a904d)
Product(s): SUSE SLED 10 for x86
SUSE SLED 10 for AMD64 and Intel EM64T
SUSE SLE 10 DEBUGINFO for x86
SUSE SLE 10 DEBUGINFO for IPF
SUSE SLE 10 DEBUGINFO for IBM POWER
SUSE SLE 10 DEBUGINFO for IBM zSeries 64bit
SUSE SLE 10 DEBUGINFO for AMD64 and Intel EM64T
SLE SDK 10 for x86
SLE SDK 10 for IPF
SLE SDK 10 for IBM iSeries and IBM pSeries
SLE SDK 10 for IBM zSeries
SLE SDK 10 for X86-64
SUSE SLES 10 for x86
SUSE SLES 10 for IPF
SUSE SLES 10 for IBM POWER
SUSE SLES 10 for IBM zSeries 64bit
SUSE SLES 10 for AMD64 and Intel EM64T
Description and Installation
Before starting to update to the SP feature level, make sure that the following requirements are met:
- The system is online throughout the entire update process, because this process requires access to the Novell registration server.
- If your setup involves third party software or add-on software, this procedure is tested on a test machine to make sure that the dependencies are not broken by the update.
- You are prepared to complete the entire process successfully. Otherwise the system becomes inconsistent.
Wait until the transaction to install the patch finishes successfully. At the end of this transaction, a pop-up appears to start the update to the SP feature level itself. To start the update, you are asked to enter the root password for this host to avoid security concerns.
After entering the root password, wait until a window opens with the possibility to select patches and resolve the dependency problems that might arise during the process to update to SP1 level.
Click Accept in the window to start the update itself, including a new kernel. To finish the update properly, reboot the system to activate the new kernel.
YaST Online Update Instructions
If you are using the Online Update of YaST to install this patch, wait until the installation of the patch finishes successfully.
After this, run the online update a second time to install the new kernel and all the other software. To finish the update properly, reboot the system to activate the new kernel.
Command Line Instructions
You can also use the rug command to update to the SP feature level. To do so, perform the following steps:
- Ensure that the system is using the nu.novell.com server for updates:
rug in switch-update-server /usr/bin/switch-update-server
- Initiate the update by installing the move-to-sles10-sp1 patch with the following command:
rug in -t patch move-to-sles10-sp1
- Refresh the status of ZMD to prepare the data for the update itself:
- Subscribe to the new SLES10-SP1-Online catalog with:
rug sub SLES10-SP1-Online
- Run a script to have rug add additional migration catalogs for third-party vendors:
- Install the SP1 level maintenance stack:
rug in -t patch slesp1o-liby2util-devel
- Restart ZMD to get the new maintenance stack running on the system:
- Update all packages to the SP1 level, including a new kernel:
rug up rug in -t patch product-sles10-sp1
- Reboot the machine to activate the new kernel.
- The patch changes the server from which to receive maintenance updates from update.novell.com to nu.novell.com if necessary.
- After the reboot of the host, the system registers SP1 with Novell Customer Center. This might take some time to finish.
- Version: 11. Jun 2007
SuSE Linux AG - Last generated: 18. Jun 2007 by snbarth (sdb_gen 1.40.0)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.