Security update for Linux kernel
(Last modified: 19NOV2004)
solutions Security update for Linux kernel SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (813fdf370053f0b3c6c44d3451a5152e)
Product(s): SUSE CORE 9 for x86
Novell Linux Desktop 9 for x86
- Fixed / Added ELF loader error handling where it was missing, which could lead to a local privilege escalation. This was found by Paul Starzetz of isec.pl.
- Fixed several smbfs boundary checking problems which could lead to buffer overflows. This issue was found by Stefan Essern and was assigned the CVE ID CAN-2004-0883.
- Fixed a possible userspace corruptions / data disclosure problem on SMP machines with more than 4 GB of RAM.
- Fixed a denial of service condition in a.out support.
- Fixed a aic79xx modprobe/rmmod oops.
- Fixed a broken decnet fix.
- Fixed an NFS data corruption problem in readdirplus handling.
First, find out which kernel package to download and use, for example with
rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz
Download the kernel image fitting your setup and the kernel symbols (kernel-syms*.rpm) and install it with either:
- rpm -Fvh kernel-syms*.rpm kernel-default*.rpm for the default kernel image, or
- rpm -Fhv kernel-syms*.rpm kernel-smp*.rpm for the SMP kernel image with support for up to 64 GB, or
- rpm -Fhv kernel-syms*.rpm kernel-bigsmp*.rpm for the SMP kernel image with support for up to 64 GB
In case you are using LILO as bootmanager, please make sure that you also execute the command
after installing the update for the system to remain bootable.
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.