Security update for Linux kernel
(Last modified: 04APR2004)
solutions Security update for Linux kernel SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (7e26c6123a27d9f3e3ad4b5009cee4fe)
SuSE Linux Standard Server 8
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for x86
SuSE Linux Openexchange Server 4
- A buffer overflow has been found in the ISO 9660 filesystem code which can be exploited locally by mounting a malformed ISO CD file system. (CAN-2004-0109)
- A possible leak of information has been discovered in the JFS file system code. (CAN-2004-0181)
cpu_sibling_mapon summit machines.
- Fix for I/O resource allocation failure during PCI hotplug.
- Fix some more ACPI IRQ problems.
sunrpc-svcsock-drop: Be more careful about dropping connections in RPC, work around for buggy NFS clients.
- Fix for
- Fix for user triggerable oops in x86-64 32bit emulation.
- Allow IPv6 netfilter modules to be loaded on x86_64.
- Addition of new version 220.127.116.11 of
- Providing some additional entries for
- Semaphore fix (#38517, i386 & x86-64): On massive parallel load with asynchronous I/O, a bug in the semaphore implementation on i386 and x86-64 could have been triggered, leading to races and thus data corruption or kernel crashed.
First, find out which kernel package to use, for example with
rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz
Download the kernel image fitting your setup and install it with either:
- rpm -Fvh k_deflt-2.4.*.i586.rpm for the default kernel image, or
- rpm -Fhv k_athlon-2.4.*.i586.rpm for the AMD Athlon optimized kernel image, or
- rpm -Fhv k_smp-2.4.*.i586.rpm for the SMP kernel image, or
- rpm -Fhv k_psmp-2.4.*.i586.rpm for the PSMP kernel image
In case you are using lilo, please make sure that you also execute the command
after installing the update for the system to remain bootable.
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.