Recommended update for Linux kernel (k_deflt)
(Last modified: 17JUL2003)
solutions Recommended update for Linux kernel (k_deflt) SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (6eb50d0ab2684fe065103debf4648be0)
This article applies to systems with the
k_defltkernel package installed, please use the appropriate kernel package if you are using a different kernel:
- "Recommended update for Linux kernel (k_timer)" (http://sdb.suse.de/en/psdb/html/14fb0fc8c8559e60ec36d775ad27d186.html)
rpm -qf /boot/kernel/image
This update fixes varies problems and has the following enhancements:
- DASD driver statistics backport from 2.4.17.
- DASD devices will not be set 'online' on slow/fast systems.
- DASD driver: IFCC handling fixed.
- DASD driver: discipline load order problem (with DIAG.)
- CIO: Handling of not operational paths.
- CIO: oopses from debug feature.
- Kernel: s390dbf - invalid call of
- Address space switching instruction in user space does not fault.
- DASD: Problems when echoing invalid DEVNO to
- CTC: System hang on shutdown of remote OS/390.
- Clearing of .bss section.
- Fixed-point divide exception in boot process.
- Chandev configuration.
- Many IUCV devices.
- Module loader.
vmalloc()with user specified length.
- Memory management: dirty bit clearing.
- Starting a LCS network device with specific module parameters causes an address exception.
- XPRAM parameter parsing.
- OCO modules: high percentage of dropped packets using UDP.
- OCO modules:
qethsent wrong command when doing
- OCO modules: Improper multicast IP housekeeping.
- Elevator Algorithm was deactivated for DASD. Depending on the load profile this can improve I/O-performance up to 10%.
- Addtional debug info for DASD and QDIO. This affects only the analysis of a dump and does not impact performance.
- Fixed RAID 1 problem which could lead to oopses.
- Fix kernel panic with deleting rpc timers on heavy SMP
- adapted nethash-fix from 2.4.19
This update includes the following IBM code drops:
- 2003-03-17 kernel 2.4.7 for the "August 2001 stream"
- 2003-04-16 kernel 2.4.7 for the "August 2001 stream"
- 2003-07-07 kernel 2.4.7 for the "August 2001 stream"
This update is provided as an RPM package that can easily be installed onto a running system either by YaST Online Update (YOU) or by following these directions:
rpm -Fvh k_deflt.rpm zipl
Please do not forget to run
ziplafter installing the kernel RPM for the system to remain bootable.
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "
now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "
+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.