Security update for Linux kernel
(Last modified: 15DEC2004)
solutions Security update for Linux kernel SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (664ffd54c57200e562e236f7d44dd715)
Product(s): SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for IBM S/390 and IBM zSeries
- CAN-2004-1068: Missing serialization in unix_dgram_recvmsg() could lead to elevated privileges, making it possible for a local attacker to gain root access. Thanks to Paul Starzetz for pointing out this problem.
- CAN-2004-1016: Missing integer overflow checks in sendmsg / control message handling allows a local attacker to crash or halt the machine. This was independent found by Paul Starzetz and Georgi Guninski, and fixed by Herbert Xu.
- A memory leak in the IP option handling in the sendmsg() system call that was reported by Georgi Guninski.
- CAN-2004-1137: Some of the pointer handling in the Linux IGMP code was broken and could allow a local attacker to crash the machine. This was found by Paul Starzetz and fixed by Chris Wright.
- A race condition in SCSI I/O accounting which could lead to erroneous reports on SCSI disk I/O was fixed.
- A memory leak in addition / removal of SCSI target devices was fixed.
- The "memfrac" and "lower_zone_reserve" kernel parameters had no effect since they were used before kernel commandline parsing.
- IBM Code drop 2004-12-03
- lcs: Replace the original lcs driver with the backport of the lcs driver for Linux kernel 2.6.
- Problem-ID: 12638 dasd: I/O errors in combination with busy condition.
- Problem-ID: 12472 qdio: Activate the time delay disablement facility.
- Problem-ID: 12700 qeth: Layer 2 network device stalled after cable had been plugged in again.
- Problem-ID: 12247 qeth: add check for HiperSockets on z800/z900.
- Problem-ID: 12549 z90crypt: Timeout running base test.
- Problem-ID: 11023 zfcp: Kernel oops in recovery.
- IBM Code drop 2004-11-02
- Problem-ID: 12107 ctcmpc: Fixes missing channel id (used by chandev) bug and adds additional debug statements.
- Problem-ID: 12026 dasd: FBA error recovery for 3370 and 9336 not called.
- Problem-ID: 12029 dasd: FBA requests failing under memory pressure.
- Problem-ID: 12142 qeth: checksum is generated by stack even with no_checksumming.
- Problem-ID: 12090 qeth: socket write queue is blocked when network cable is pulled.
- Problem-ID: 12175 zfcp: FCP port cannot recover after aborted nameserver request.
- Problem-ID: 11576 zfcp: Insufficient debugging information in /var/log/messages for 'LUN sharing violation'.
- Problem-ID: 12032 zfcp: Kernel panic possible when a timeout handler of a memory pool is called.
- IBM Code drop 2004-10-12
- Add Layer 2 support for OSA-Express to qeth network driver.
- Add z90crypt exploitation of zero-pad function in PCIXCC for the z890/z990 cryptographic cards.
- New ctcmpc device driver for SNA networking - required for using IBM Communications Server for Linux (see Communications Server for Linux on zSeries homepage)
rpm -Fvh k_deflt.rpm zipl
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.