Security update for Linux kernel
(Last modified: 15DEC2004)
solutions Security update for Linux kernel SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (6384764803b7abea225c0fc257925adc)
Product(s): SuSE Linux Desktop 1.0
- CAN-2004-1068: Missing serialization in unix_dgram_recvmsg() could lead to elevated privileges, making it possible for a local attacker to gain root access. Thanks to Paul Starzetz for pointing out this problem.
- CAN-2004-1016: Missing integer overflow checks in sendmsg / control message handling allows a local attacker to crash or halt the machine. This was independent found by Paul Starzetz and Georgi Guninski, and fixed by Herbert Xu.
- A memory leak in the IP option handling in the sendmsg() system call that was reported by Georgi Guninski.
First, find out which kernel package to use, for example with
rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz
Download the kernel image fitting your setup and install it with either:
- rpm -Fvh k_deflt-2.4.*.i586.rpm for the default kernel image, or
- rpm -Fhv k_athlon-2.4.*.i586.rpm for the AMD Athlon optimized kernel image, or
- rpm -Fhv k_smp-2.4.*.i586.rpm for the SMP kernel image, or
- rpm -Fhv k_psmp-2.4.*.i586.rpm for the PSMP kernel image
In case you are using LILO as bootmanager, please make sure that you also execute the command
after installing the update for the system to remain bootable.
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.