Security update for Linux kernel
(Last modified: 14FEB2006)
solutions Security update for Linux kernel SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (53a35f9c46a14926bf6362d608669041)
Product(s): SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for IPF
- CVE-2005-3623: Remote users could set ACLs even on read-only exported NFS filesystems and so circumvent access control.
- CVE-2004-1058: A race condition was fixed which could allow local users to read environment variables of another process. This is a reissue of an earlier fix in the 2.6 kernel also present in the 2.4 kernel.
- CVE-2005-2553: Fixed an oops when a 64bit binary was traced with a 32bit ltrace. This problem only affects the x86-64 platform.
- Allow building the kernel with newer binutils.
- Validate NFS inodes returned by cached lookups to avoid spurious stale NFS file handles.
- Retry failing allocations on ext3 filesystems multiple times, in case space is freed on pending ext3 journal releases.
First find out which kernel package to install by using the following command:
rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz
Download the kernel image fitting your setup and install it with either:
rpm -Fvh k_deflt-*.rpmfor the default kernel image, or
rpm -Fvh k_itanium2-smp-*.rpmfor the Itanium2 SMP kernel image, or
rpm -Fhv k_itanium2.rpm-*.rpmfor the Itanium2 kernel image, or
rpm -Fhv k_smp-*.rpmfor the SMP kernel image
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.