Security udpate for Linux kernel
(Last modified: 15OCT2004)
solutions Security udpate for Linux kernel SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (3b348705115345dd199519bf7bf3d38f)
Product(s): SUSE CORE 9 for IBM zSeries 64bit
- With the
iptablesfirewall enabled in a certain configuration (as done by
SuSEFirewall2) a handcrafted IP packet from a remote attacker could crash the system.
- The privileged "
sacf" instruction on S/390 was not correctly protected, so local users could gain root access.
- Some minor additional
/procinformation leaks were fixed.
- Two CD writing problems were fixed, one in block IO handling and one in highmem bounce buffer handling (for machines with more than 1GB RAM).
- A problem with write barriers not being issued on IDE drives that default to write cache set to off was fixed.
- Make sure
O_SYNCwrites return -EIO for write errors.
- Some block IO related fixes for the
- Support for
open()system call, fixing an LVM related problem.
- Do not clear/remove referenced pages in
- Fixed an
iptableslogging oops caused by
- Do not propagate TCP errors to
- Fixed some RAID 1 problems for read retry problems and device removal.
- Do not mark inherited ACLs dirty.
- Do not attach upper level SCSI drivers to raid control ports, such as the LSI/Engenio.
- Fixed a USB 2.0 EHCI problem with list scanning on SMP systems.
- Fixed a memory corruption in
PTRACE_GETEVENTMSG32bit emulation. (LTC8916)
- Fixed a deadlock issue in the LCS network driver. (LTC9897)
- IBM codedrop 30-08-2004: add
- Fix LCS device stall.
- Fix Multicast handling.
- Various additional fixes.
rpm -Fvh kernel-s390x.rpm kernel-source.rpm kernel-syms.rpm zipl
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.