Security update for Linux kernel
(Last modified: 20JAN2005)
solutions Security update for Linux kernel SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (3a05fb40f90644d48b93f5e8fb53ce03)
Product(s): SUSE CORE 9 for IBM S/390 31bit
- An unlocked VM operation could lead to a local user gaining root access using a handcrafted ELF binary and the uselib system call. This problem was found by Paul Starzetz and has been assigned the Mitre CVE ID CAN-2004-1235.
- A race condition in the SMP page fault handler could lead to a local attacker gaining root access on SMP machines. This problem was also found by Paul Starzetz and has been assigned the Mitre CVE ID CAN-2005-001.
- A problem in the earlier cmsg / sendmsg security fix was identified and fixed which could lead 32bit applications on a 64bit system (like i386 binaries on x86_64, or PowerPC binaries on a PowerPC64 system) to handle the sendmsg call incorrectly.
- An incomplete fix of the IGMP problem in the last update was replaced by the final approved fix.
- The smbfs fixes done 2 security updates ago were broken for writing files. This has been fixed.
- grsecurity reported a possible signedness problem in the generic scsi ioctl handler.
- Bad handling of oversized NFS Direct I/O request could lead to a local denial of service attack.
rpm -Fvh kernel-s390.rpm kernel-source.rpm kernel-syms.rpm zipl
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.