Recommended update for Linux kernel
(Last modified: 29JUL2005)
solutions Recommended update for Linux kernel SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (39912305ece218ef41af229914521c05)
Product(s): SUSE CORE 9 for x86
Novell Linux Desktop 9 for x86
Novell Linux POS 9
This update fixes the following non-security issues:
- deadlock in reiserfs
- NFS problems with EMC servers (#96193)
- hang on deleting vlan interfaces (#83493)
- busy inodes after umount of autofs4 (#91112)
- JBD race condition during umount (#95665)
- output of /proc/scsi/scsi (#80228)
- ignore timer overrides on SMP Nvidia boards (#94194)
- crash on dual core, single processor Opterons (#96485)
- initialization of the ACPI Processor P-States Driver (#95059)
First, find out which kernel package to download and use, for example with
rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz
Download the kernel image fitting your setup and the kernel symbols (kernel-syms*.rpm) and install it with either:
- rpm -Fvh kernel-syms*.rpm kernel-default*.rpm for the default kernel image, or
- rpm -Fhv kernel-syms*.rpm kernel-smp*.rpm for the SMP kernel image with support for up to 64 GB, or
- rpm -Fhv kernel-syms*.rpm kernel-bigsmp*.rpm for the SMP kernel image with support for up to 64 GB
In case you are using LILO as bootmanager, please make sure that you also execute the command
after installing the update for the system to remain bootable.
Finally, reboot the system with
shutdown -r now
to load the new kernel (replace "now" with the appropriate amount of time to allow local users to cleanly log out, for example "+5" for five minutes.)
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.