SuSE Outlook iSLOX connector
(Last modified: 17NOV2003)
solutions SuSE Outlook iSLOX connector SuSE Linux Maintenance Web (13e3c4ae3747a08f177fd48e154c8000)
SuSE Outlook connector provides Outlook users with ability to work with appointments, jobs and contacts stored on Linux Openexchange Server. It is based on MAPI architecture and consists of several MAPI providers: Message Store, Transport, Address Book and Hook providers.
This version supports mapping of common for both systems objects and properties. This version neither change nor extend usual Outlook GUI.
Note that mail support is not built in into product. Use Internet Mail provider shipped with Outlook to enable such features as notifications.
iSLOX connector was tested to work with Outlook 2000 SP3 and Outlook 2002 SP1, SP2 (known as Outlook XP) on MS Windows NT/2000/XP. It requires SLOX 4.1 on the server side. Another essential requirement is Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 or higher installed (comes with MS IE from version 5.0). For installation on Windows NT MS Installer 2 required.
Install iSLOX connector from islox.msi installation package. If you have previous iSLOX version installed remove it first (from Control Panel). It is recommended to remove old SLOX Mail profile too.
Configuration (Outlook 2000)
In order to use iSLOX connector create new Mail Profile. It should contain the
- SuSE Linux Openexchange Server
- Personal folders
- Internet Mail
In the SLOX Service configuration dialog on the "Message Store" tab select path to a file where folders and messages will be cached. On the "General" tab enter network address of SLOX server, your login and password to the server. All these fields are mandatory. Note that server address should be IP or DNS one and should not start with prefix like "http://" or "https://".
Then add "Personal Folder" service and choose the path to *.pst file. It will contain the data of personal folders.
Add third service - "Internet mail". Set address of the SLOX server as a mail server and enter you login and password. Notice that "Name" for your mail account should be similar to one used on SLOX (i.e. "John Smith") or your SLOX account name, i.e. "jsmith".
Important notice: make sure there are four Address lists on Addressing tab of slox profile Properties.
- SLOX Address Book
- All Users
- All Groups
- All Resources
Note: MS Outlook should be configured to work in "groupware" mode. To make sure Outlook is properly configured go to "Tools"->"Options"-> "Mail Services" tab in Outlook and press "Reconfigure Mail Support" button, then Choose "Corporate or Workgroup" option.
Configuration (Outlook 2002 (XP))
- Create new mail account using Control Panel->Mail. Press "Show profiles..." button and then "Add..." button. Choose "Add new e-mail account", then "Additional server types". Select "SuSE Linux Openexchange Server" and enter you login information to SLOX server. Optionally you can change default path to a file where folders and messages will be cached.
- Create a usual mail account for SLOX mail server. Control Panel->Mail, press "Show Profiles...", then select profile you created for SLOX and press "Properties" button. Add a new POP3 mail account and specify SLOX server as a mail server (type in the same address or IP). Your mailbox name/password should be equal to your login name/password for SLOX server.
To use slox free-busy data follow these steps:
- In Outlook open Preferences dialog (menu Tools->Options->Preferences)
- Press button "Calendar Options" and button "Free/Busy Options"
- At field "Search at This URL" enter the following URL: http://[slox_server_address]/servlet/webdav.freebusy?username=%NAME%& server=%SERVER%, where [slox_server_address] should be substituted with SLOX server address.
iSLOX provides logging functionality to submit more detailed bug reports to iSLOX development team. From version 1.34 for errors occurred during work with Outlook (not "cannot connect" to server of "wrong username" problems, occurred during startup) you need to substitute file %SystemRoot%\system32\SLOXMS32.dll with one from "debug" folder. Note that with this file iSLOX will work slower.
In order to get logs create folder "sloxlogs" on c: drive before starting Outlook. During one session Outlook creates several files in folder "c:\sloxlogs" so please send all files (preferably archived).
- Current implementation requires on both client and server similar system time. Please use NTP (shipped with SLOX) to synchronize.
- During SLOX profile configuration GUI allows entering invalid username or password even if you use "Remember password" option. Please do not ignore warning and enter valid login information.
- 2495 Periodically (~1 time per hour) Outlook draws a window with a message 'Unable to update public free/busy data. Operation failed' Cause: cannot use undocumented Outlook interface Status: this release feature
- 2688 User cannot "accept/decline" appointments using corresponding buttons in incoming e-mail messages. Workaround: in Outlook 2000 use "show attendee status" mode of "Attendee Availability" tab in appointment to accept or decline
- 2914 Assigned tasks cannot be "sent" to users Cause: SLOX Public Folders are not default folders. They cannot be default in this version default folders are "Personal". Workaround: press "save" to transfer task information to server, notifications will be generated on the server side Status: this release feature
- 3030 Outlook recurrent events "Every Week Day" mapped to "Every Day" on SLOX Cause: SLOX behavior Status: this release feature
- 3031 Cannot create appointment with reminder in Outlook Cause: appointment with reminder cannot be created in non default calendar Outlook folder (i.e. SLOX Public Folders) Status: this release feature
- 3164 Unable to send mail to group of users from outlook Cause: SLOX does not create distribution lists for a group (FR#134) Status: this release feature
- 3220 Objects "hidden" from user on SLOX by removing read rights for that user still exist in Outlook. Cause: SLOX behaviour (BR#108) Workaround: removing sloxms.stg file (use "clear cache" button in iSLOX profile) Status: this release feature
- 3287 Question of conference for contacts is not saved to server as appointment with participants, it is sent as e-mail message instead.
- 3359 Changes performed on server are seen in outlook only when other folder is selected. When user makes changes in calendar on server side in outlook there are no changes in this folder. To see changes user has to select other folder (e.g. tasks, contacts) and then calendar again or restart outlook
- 3439 Cannot change rights access for users from stufe3 to stufe4. Cause: these two levels are the same
- 3644 There is situation when user has read access to object on server but has no ability to view it in outlook Cause: SLOX behavior
- 3690 Company address can not be changed using Outlook Cause: webdav connector does not allow to do this Workaround: not known
- 3767 When user with 4th level access changes something in folder (renames, moves) he becomes folder owner and former owner becomes 4th level access user.
- 3783 Cannot create an appointment with group 'all_groups_and_users' in participants Cause: server does not support this action
- 3820 Contact's birth date is one day earlier on server rather than in Outlook
Download Source Packages
Download the source code of the patches for maintained products.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.